The world of health care continues to change rapidly, and, as medical assistants, you will be called on to do more and respond to an increasing number of clinical and administrative responsibilities. Now is the time to equip yourself with the skills you will need to excel in the fi eld. Now is the time to maximize your potential, expand your base of knowledge, and dedicate yourself to becoming the best multifaceted, multiskilled medical assistant that you can be. The new edition of Delmar’s Comprehensive Medical Assisting: Administrative and Clinical Competencies will guide you on this journey. The word comprehensive is not used lightly here, for this text is part of a dynamic learning system that includes software, workbook, and online materials.
Together, this learning package includes coverage of the entry-level competencies identifi ed by the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) and the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). It will also help you prepare for certification examinations from the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), the American Medical Technologists (AMT), and the National Healthcareer Association (NHA). You will fi nd this edition continues to provide you with opportunities to use your critical thinking skills, through case studies, critical thinking boxes, question boxes, scenarios, and features that tie directly to Delmar’s Skills and Procedures and Critical Thinking for Medical Assistants DVD Series. You will also see that the text addresses topics that will make you workplace-ready, including electronic health records (EHRs), Total Practice Management System (TPMS) software, professionalism, and confidentiality and privacy issues.
Some of the special new features and updates to this edition include:
• Emphasis on EHRs and TPMS software; where appropriate, each chapter includes a figure illustrating how the chapter content relates to TPMS
• More than 200 new photos illustrating a greater number of procedures and showing the latest equipment
• More than 30 new procedures, including procedures that utilize Medical Office Simulation Software (MOSS) 2.0
• English and Spanish glossary of terms included in the book, with free downloadable Spanish terms for mp3 players at Delmar’s mobile download Web site
• Broadening of cultural diversity in the text and the workbook
• Updated certifi cation and examination information for AAMA, AMT, and NHA
• Updated to 2008 CAAHEP curriculum standards, including safety and emergency practices
• New technology initiatives that focus on assessment, interactivity, and competency mapping